Monday, December 23, 2013

Alia is 5

Despite my best attempts at talking her out of it, Alia went ahead and turned five this weekend. There's something about 5 that is really hard for me. It seems so grown up and so "big kid". I can't believe she'll be starting kindergarten in the fall. Even though Mommy isn't ready for any of it, Alia surely is. 

A little bit about my 5 year old Alia - 

Favorite:
Colors - pink, purple
Song - The "gingersnaps" song from The Nutcracker
Food - most fruits, grilled cheese, hot dog, mac and cheese 
(She''s going through a very picky eater stage.)
TV Show - Doc McStuffins
Thing to play - Doc McStuffins, School, Palace Pets, Barbie fashion show
Outfit - leggings and t-shirts (She likes to be cozy.)
Book - just about anything!
Best friends - Eilee & Carson
Activities: dance & gymnastics

Alia is a very smart little girl, and I'm not just saying that because I am her mom :-) She is constantly surprising me. She is doing outstanding with her reading. She's reading a ton of sight words and is sounding out simple words as well. Her confidence with writing has grown a ton in Pre-K. Her teachers are doing a great job encouraging her without letting her get frustrated. With all that being said, we think that math might be her greatest gift. Here's an example I just have to document so that I don't forget ...

At school each morning the kids have a question of the day. On December 4th the question was "Do you know how many days until Christmas?" The kids read the question (with the help of a grown-up if necessary) and then put their picture under the yes or the no. Alia put her picture under the yes. I said, "Really? How many?" She took about 3 seconds to think about it and looked me right in the eye and said 21! No other kids or grown-ups standing by and no counting on fingers. Yep, I was impressed!

Alia is still thoroughly enjoying dance class with Miss Lynn. The Nutcracker performance took her love of ballet to another level I think. We now have the DVD and she enjoys watching her favorite parts and dancing along to it. Pretty darn cute!

Here are a few pictures from "birthday morning" ...

Her eyes lit up when she saw her new pink and white desk.

Daddy got us sprinkle donuts for a special birthday breakfast

New desk & pink chair

Sparkly purple leotard for gymnastics & pink leotard for dance

Thrilled to get some birthday money!

Her very own pink guitar courtesy of Grandpa and Roseanne :-)

No comments: