Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Bryce Canyon

Natural Bridge




Swamp Canyon View Point


Inspiration Point

Photos above are from Bryce Canyon National Park. A unique feature of Bryce are the Hoodoos which resemble giant pillars of wet sand and are a variety of colors from pale grey to burnt orange - most a salmon color. The bottom photo gives you a great view of them. We camped in Bryce and the weather was fantastic. At over 8,000 ft in elevation, both days were in the mid-80's and the nights got down to the low 40's. It was perfect for a nice campfire, and we were lucky we could have one given how dry it is in Southern Utah. When we arrived in Bryce we initially had a campsite totally exposed to the sun, but I was able to talk the hosts into letting us move to a site in the shade close to the bathroom (important for expecting mothers). I mentioned before that I wanted to see some wildlife, and while at the site I got up close and personal with a chipmunk. These little bastards were all over the place and were fearless once you had food in your hand. I dosed off one afternoon and was awoken to one climbing up my leg. I suppose he was looking for nuts and luckily I caught him at mid-shin. ;-). Both nights at Bryce were clear and the stars were spectacular. The entire sky was filled with stars and the moon, even though it was a crescent, was incredibly bright. In fact there were so many stars I couldn't pick out the Big or Little Dipper - which is my signature "Max Douglas" move ;-). Overall, I would have to say I enjoyed Bryce even more than Arches, but both were great. We are now in Zion and it's hot as....well, it was 106 today.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sending me this blog as I was really hurting for entertainment today. I read it top to bottom.

Congrats on the 1st Anniversary and apparently a baby on the way! I didn't get the memo on that one. I'm going to fire up your wedding CD right now but I'm having trouble choosing between the groomsmen mix rock'in tunes or the groomsmen mix 80's classics. Oh hell, Southern Cross it is. Take good care of the three of you. And keep on blogging.

BTW, love the fact that you needed a light in the car to tell you the tire was flat - twice. Didn't you feel that beast pulling a little to the left? Keep your eye on the coolant too.