Thursday, July 31, 2008

Yosemite




The last three days we have been in Yosemite. On the first day we went in to Mariposa Grove to see the Giant Sequoia’s (photo #1). We hiked around that afternoon and saw some of the south side of the park. On the second day I went into the park solo since Kim was battling a stomach bug. I traveled to the valley floor and Glacier Point and the views were spectacular – (see photo #2 of Half Dome). On day 3 I decided to take the adventure up a notch and climb to the top of Half Dome – 17 miles round trip ascending 4,800 ft. I left our cottage about 5am since it was about 1.5 hour drive to the trailhead (Yosemite is huge). For the first couple miles up the trail I didn’t see many fellow hikers which freaked me out since they post warnings about the black bears every 10 feet. I started thinking “are bears morning hunters….”. I also inadvertently picked the horse trail which was littered with fresh “trail apples”. Once I finally caught up with a few others headed up the trail I felt a lot better. The climb up was tough, but I felt good until I got to the last part of the ascent. The last 500-600ft is a very inverted section straight up the top of half dome which has cables built into the rock to allow you to make the ascent (see photo #3). I got about half way up the cables and I started second guessing whether I could make it back down. I think that since everyone coming down looked sick to their stomach trying to navigate the steep, slippery rock it made me a bit nervous. At that point I was also pretty spent so I decided to turn back about 300 ft from the summit. It was a little disappointing, but the views were still worth the trek (photo #4). Even though we spent three full days in this incredible place we only saw a fraction of the park. It would take weeks to explore. One note - luckily, we did not encounter any of the wildfires while in Yosemite. I hope they get that blaze contained because Yosemite is truly one of the treasures of the US.

No comments: